Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Helping the Homeless?

I always wonder what happened when I see that person standing there with their cardboard sign, messy hair and dirty clothes. Like others, I wonder where my money goes when contributing to a person on the street or to a charitable organization.

Many people give money to the homeless they run into on the subways and streets. They don't ask questions. You drop that dollar in the man or woman's hand, hat, cup, or guitar case and continue where you're going never thinking about it again. But I do.

If there were a way of knowing those who truly needed that dollar, this wouldn't be an issue. In my case, I'm a college student that struggles too sometimes, but luckily with a roof over my head and food to eat. This is part of the reason why I question the giving of money to those who claim to be homeless. If that homeless person is just doing this to make money and really does have a home, he doesn't deserve my money that I work hard for. It is very unfortunate for those who truly do need the help that others imitate them as an easy way to make money and continuing to sleep in their nice, warm, comfy bed at night.

There are also the cases that I have seen here in Wilmington on a night out with friends. A man in dirty clothes stops us and says, "I am going to be honest with you, I really just want a beer. Can you give me couple of dollars and help me out?" My fiance thinks that because this man was honest he should give him a five dollar bill. I do not quite feel the same way. If that man's only concern is money for a beer, he obviously has food and a warm place to sleep. Don't ask me for money for something that is not going to help you out at all.

I think that if someone wants to help the homeless they should give money to organizations that are set up to help the homeless. If the homeless that stand on the street corner asking for money really need the help, they can go to the homeless shelters and other places designed to assist them in getting their lives back on track. One of the things that really gets me is when you see a "homeless" person with the sign saying, "Homeless. Will work for food," when they are standing in front of a Wendy's or Burger King. Fast food is always hiring. Stop being lazy and put forth the effort to make your life better.

I like to help the unfortunate whenever possible, just like others do. It's just hard to give money to people who instead of trying to do something for themselves, sit or stand around waiting for a handout. There are places everywhere that can help and that have the money the homeless are asking for to help.

No comments: