Saturday, March 31, 2007

Wave Transit Travels

Breaking from my normal Friday morning routine of sleeping past noon, I decided to do something different and observe an alternate lifestyle. Instead of binge sleeping, I opted to get up at 9 a.m. and ride the city bus. I wanted to experience a new mode of transportation. As I was walking to the bus stop, which is conveniently in front of my apartment complex, my mind filled with questions and hesitation. Would the people look at me funny? Who will I encounter? Will people who regularly ride the bus know each other and know that this is not my normal mode of transportation?

At 9:15 a.m. I got at the bus stop and waited ten minutes for it to arrive. As I stepped on I could see the bus driver give me an awkward, puzzled look as if he knew I was doing this for pleasure and not practicality. I tried to blend into the environment, but I guess a tan college student doesn’t fit into the Wilmington city bus system too well. I then paid my fare and sat down in one of the middle rows.

There were only a few people on the bus, mainly blue collar workers who looked as though they dreaded going to work. Pretending to be groggy and discontent, I quietly looked around. Surprisingly, the bus was fairly clean and not what I had expected. Up to now my only experience with public buses had been from TV and movies. I had imagined a vehicle that was littered with graffiti and people looking to take advantage of you. Buses seemed like an economical, popular mode of transportation that you had to be cautious on. However, the Wilmington buses have always seemed different and from the multitude of empty seats my instincts hadn’t failed me.

As people got on and off I noticed that many were carrying grocery bags and had to take the bus to buy food. At this pivotal moment I realized how fortunate I was. I have gone through bouts without a car, but always had friends to drive me when I needed to go somewhere. I have never had to go it alone and pay money to get around. The tribulations of the regular bus riders gave me a new respect for their efforts. And as I observed the others they observed me--sitting alone, riding my loop, I noticed their gazes and judgments. I was out of my element, in their territory, and mildly bewildered. I spent the majority of the ride looking out the window in awe of the situation while casually taking moments to study my new environment.

Ultimately, my bus ride was a good opportunity to view Wilmington from a different angle. It was a humbling experience that made me thankful to have a car and the ability to go where ever I want to whenever I want to. I can understand how buses are the norm in many cities and an excellent mean of transportation in situations when other modes would be less efficient. In many respects, Wilmington would benefit from increasing the popularity of their bus system and promoting its positive aspects. From my thirty-minute excursion I learned a lot about the everyday life of people from different backgrounds and socio-economic statuses. I could never imagine what their lives are actually like, but I felt that I got a glimpse. And if I ever took the bus again I would do so without hesitation or apprehension.

No comments: