Saturday, January 27, 2007

Death is Inevitable


Death is inevitable. This is the lingering thought I've been dealing with for a couple of weeks now. It was about five weeks ago that one of my favorite mentors passed. He was a seventy-eight year old deacon at our church, and he was a good friend. His name was James, but I called him Deacon.

I think about his death alot, more than I really should for someone I'm not related to. See his death has brought forth a difficult realization for me. That realization being that I don't handle death very well; simply because I avoid it. His death, rather his funeral was another in a long line of passing that culminated with my absence from the funeral. Granted his funeral was held on the first day of the new semester, but nobody would probably let me use that truth for an acceptable excuse.

I guess the main reason I think of his death, and not just because it was so recent, but his funeral is another one I've not atteneded. See, as I already said, I'm realizing that I don't deal with death well. For the most part I can handle helping families while the sick are still alive, but once they pass on, I'm no better than a wooden nickle or a penny in a soda machine.

But to get back to my original point, I don't go to funerals. See to this date I've missed my Great-Great Grandmother's funeral. She was my father's grandmother, and she absolutely adored me; and I loved being around her too. So you'd think that Iwould be there for her final goodbye, but you'd be wrong. I also did not attend the funeral of my Grandfather. Now to be fair, he scared me to no end, but I wasn't happy to know he died. Plus no six year old wants to see his mother cry for days and days. Oh and I also didn't attend my great Aunt's funeral three years ago.

I guess this says that I'm not that much of a soft-hearted person. It might even suggest that I've got ice-water running through my veins. In any case, if anyone from class dies before the semester is over, please don't take it personal if you look down from heaven, or up from hell, and don't see my face among the mourners at your funeral.

No comments: