Saturday, February 3, 2007

Girls always fight about boys

Eric was in a relationship when I met him. Actually he was sort of in several relationships when I met him, but I’ll get to that in a minute. His girlfriend, Sarah, was long distance in high school and even more by the time they were both in college, long distance by thirteen or fourteen hours and so they decided it would be an open relationship. This meant that they would both be hooking up with other people. I met him because he was messing around with two girls I knew and they weren't the only two. Regardless of them though, he was in love with her and didn't plan on ever leaving her -- no matter how crazy, jealous, or cruel she was to him.

When they broke up after two and a half years, Eric and I ended up together.

This isn’t a great way to start. He was broken hearted and even though she had dumped over something on Myspace with him she hadn’t been ready to let him go. She hadn’t expected Aaron to start dating someone as quickly as he did; she hadn’t really expected him to start dating anyone else at all. They had planned on getting married and living happily ever after – she didn’t think breaking up with him was anything more than teaching him a lesson about his internet postings.

I hated her. She hated me. Sarah didn’t exactly fight clean, but then who would? Here she had lost some one she had cared about for a very long time, probably one of the first people to be constant and steady in her life.

She was raised mostly by her bi polar mother and her father tried to buy her love when he was around. I know all this because eventually we made peace with each other. Eventually we got to be okay friends. Over Christmas break she was visiting her father's side of the family in South Carolina. I live in Charlotte, only an hour or so away and she came to visit me and my family for a few hours on her way home to Atlanta.

We still talk occasionally -- mostly we avoid talking about Eric. School and her current boys etc. remain the biggest topics. She's majoring in neuroscience, polar oppisite of my English/Creative Writing double. She and Eric are friends and we figured out that neither one of us is the devil.

No comments: