Saturday, April 14, 2007

Hypnotic on My Heart

Talented doesn’t begin to describe the artistic depth of Gavin Degraw. As a singer, songwriter, pianist, guitarist, and performer he’s sure to deliver change through his music.

I never grasped what it meant to be a music follower, not until I heard Gavin Degraw live. Freshman year I bought tickets with my best friend to attend Maroon 5’s concert at The House of Blues. Ale, my best friend, informed me prior to the show that Marc Broussard and Gavin Degraw were the two opening acts. She also told me she was more excited for me to see Gavin over the other two artists because she’d heard him recently in Chapel Hill and was certain I would like him. Fearful that I may be let down by this Gavin guy, I tried not to let her words influence my opinion.

Marc Broussard was the first to perform. He was ideal for getting the audience hype but it was obvious to me that I was surrounded by others who were anxious for Gavin to perform. Marc and his band left the stage, the curtain fell, and the crew began setting up the stage for the second act. Why was I nervous to see and hear this guy? I was nervous for him. I didn’t want him to let me down. I may have tried to avoid setting expectations but by that point, there was no holding back.

The lights dimmed as he began playing the grand piano. It was a beautiful, soft introduction then came the lyrics, “Hail to the light that my baby watches me…” Already, I was hooked. I immediately recognized he had a raspy, soulful voice, one that was far different from the popular music of that time. This was real music. Near the end of the song, “Meaning,” his band took their places on stage, at drums, guitar, and electric guitar. Gavin remained seated at his grand. Before he continued his playlist, he spoke to the audience. If only I could hear him over the screams of excitement, I thought.

I was completely blown away by his musical gift. Throughout his performance, he altered playing the piano and guitar. How many artists can do that? How many artists are able to even sing and play an instrument at the same time? With an increase in technology, it seems that many artists rely on others to produce the background for their songs. That’s not the case for Gavin.

After the show, I went home and downloaded every song I could find on the internet. I learned about him from his website and only grew to admire him even more. He only wants to produce music that others can connect with. He has no desire to conform to the pressures of the music industry so remains true by writing his own lyrics, guitar and piano sheet music, and writes about love, heartache, and everyday life situations. Simply watching him perform, I cannot help but notice he’s singing with the utmost passion.

“I Don’t Want To Be” is a highly recognized song by Gavin because it’s the theme song for the hit TV show One Tree Hill. His music is so much more than the catchy song. Gavin has proven to be a respectable artist. He turned down his first offer with a huge record label because he wanted to continue performing in small venues to perfect his music. When Clive Davis of J Records heard Gavin Degraw, he knew there was something raw and real about him; consequently, Gavin signed with him and his music has been spread worldwide.

Gavin has appeared on Regis and Kelly, Ellen Degeneres, Carson Daily, and the TV shows One Tree Hill and What I Like About You. I’ve seen my number of Gavin appearances whether on TV or live, a total of eight concerts. Even after meeting Gavin three times, getting his autograph, and having the opportunity to talk with him, I’ve found he’s remained humble in his success. That is an admirable quality that only adds to his character. In any point in my days or weeks that I want to perk up my attitude, my ipod playlist labeled Gavin Degraw is my answer. One lyric Gavin sings eloquently describes his acoustic and soulful songs, they are “hypnotic on my heart.”

No comments: