Thursday, August 30, 2007

Where have all the cowboys gone?

I consider myself to have a fairly even balance of traditional and contemporary values. If I leaned toward one or the other I suppose it'd be the traditional side, but I am by no means the gentleman my grandfather was. I do my best to maintain what is left of the scraps of social code that our more civilized forefathers bequeathed upon us; holding doors for people (men and women, children of all ages), standing up and shaking hands when introduced to someone, and the other good stuff that has us calling ourselves civilized.

Now granted I tend to take things personally at all times, an admitted shortcoming of mine, so it’s only fair that I preface my opinion with that fact. Moving on, I am not only disappointed when people don’t follow these social codes of courtesy but I am utterly offended and at times even angered by the fact. I understand and accept the fact that there are many things that divide us as human beings but there are a few that unite us. These few things are often the only graces that keep us connected with one another day to day in our transient walk through cyberspace. As we walk with tunnel vision on our cell phones, on the way to the next big thing that were running late for, there’s always time for a little common courtesy and human interaction.

When I pass you on the street, how about giving me the obligatory smile and nod? Don’t feel like it? That’s fine with me, we all have those days. However, if I throw one your way I'd appreciate if you would reciprocate. If you pass through a door directly ahead of me, please hold it instead of letting it slam in my face. When I hold the door for you, my actions are truly altruistic but I am still offended when you can’t at least mutter a simple thank you. If I introduce myself, stand up and shake my hand. Pull your head away from the computer, unglue your eyes from that American Idol debauchery your’re so religiously hooked to. Stand up and shake my hand. Is this all really too much to ask? I think not. You don’t need to ask me how my day is going. In fact, I’d prefer you didn’t because I know you don’t care. I don’t care yours is going to be honest. But as a fellow human being, I do respect you on the most basic level. Your membership in the club we call the human race affords a certain level of respect from day one. I’ll show you mine if you show me yours!

3 comments:

rachel elise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rachel elise said...

hey there john! :) i'm in the jville section of this class and i totally understand this is a work in progress but i thought i'd put in my two cents. :)

i completely agree that common courtesy is going out of style and it really does affect me personally when i smile at a perfect stranger (which i always do) and they don't flash one back. so i think you have a totally valid point in your essay.

i do feel like you're coming off really angry though. i know that's kind of the point of pet peeves, but maybe some comic relief would lighten the reader's sense of intimidation.

again, i love that you are writing on this topic and the title fits perfectly. :)

just some friendly feedback from a classmate. :)

Tracy said...

I agree completely!

Along the same vein, when I am kind enough to sit just a bit longer in traffic because I let someone in, it would be nice if they at least smiled or nodded acknowledgement to the favor! And on the other side, it doesn't kill someone in that traffic already to just let a person or two in while they are at a dead stop!

Nice post.