Friday, September 21, 2007

Exercise is the Key

I slip on my blue and gray Mizuno sneakers, making sure to tie my laces tightly. I shake out my leg muscles while setting my watch to zero. Taking a deep breath, I exhale as my feet hit the pavement. As I run, sweat starts dripping down my face and my breathing becomes heavier. An hour later, I turn back to my street and sprint the rest of the way. My heart is racing; my shirt is drenched with sweat but I’ve never felt better. Running is my escape from life. I believe exercise is physically and mentally essential in everyone’s life.

Exercise provides a way out from my daily routine. My days can be stressful with homework, family, and problems with work. When I exercise I can release all my stress. Going for a run or a bike ride clears my mind and helps me to release the pressure that has increased through the day. I can exercise as fast and hard as I want to. If I am angry at anyone or the world, all the anger and frustration gets taken out on the road. Exercising gives me a chance to let go of my pent up emotions. After exercising, I feel mentally stronger for I have accomplished something. Pushing and challenging myself during exercise helps me to feel successful outside of my school and work life. If I had failed a test or had a horrible day at work, I go for a run and bring my confidence back up.

Exercise does not just help me mentally, it is physically rewarding as well. Part of being healthy is moving your body. Exercise makes your heart stronger, lowers your cholesterol and blood pressure, strengthens your lungs, and builds up your immune system. It also helps preserve bone density and muscle strength. Every time I go to to the hospital for a physical or check-up, the doctor is amazed at my health. Two weeks ago, I went in to get a physical from the UNCW Health Center. After I was checked, the doctor informed me that I was the healthiest person they have seen in months. It's not thatI do anything out of the ordinary because I don't. I just exercise.

I believe that everyone should exercise in some way. Exercise keeps you in shape and maintains a healthy weight while allowing you to mentally feel accomplished and successful. Everyone needs to be able to escape from their everyday life and release the stress that they have; exercise provides that outlet. I could not imagine my life without running or any form of exercise. It keeps me sane. So go grab your running shoes—the road is waiting.

No comments: