Saturday, February 17, 2007

Imploding of My Ear Drums


On July 19th 1995 I heard Metallica via Kill Em’ All. In that instant I learned that you can love pieces of things that aren’t physically alive. I heard the raw grunts of a band that had enough with the glam rock of the eighties. It was unrefined and unnatural. The songs were filled with anger and awesome-ness. In my mind I can replay the very first moment I heard it.

I failed to mention that on that day I turned ten. For my birthday my family and assorted friends were heading to one of the many springs that dot central Florida. Henry Beck Park, the spring, was where families went to try and escape the Florida heat, and doubled as a gathering spot for the hard rockers to drink beer and sit somewhere cold.

Blaring on their boom box was the song that I would later come to know, Whiplash. I listened so intently that I thought my ears were going to blow up inside themselves It opened up with the bass drum just thumping, a lot like my heart was, and then came this scratchy guitar that is just a build up to a fast paced piece of genius. Much like God to Moses came the voice of James Hetfield. His voice sounds like the axle of an old Conestoga wagon who had crossed the country ten times before. My favorite part is right after the third verse where James goes, “Acting like a maniac…WHIPLASH,” and Kirk Hammett breaks into an epic solo.

Then there was Phantom Lord which was practically the same song as Whiplash, just heavier, harder, and faster. Lars Ulrich, the drummer, loses about eleven thousand calories in this song, as he taps the cymbals and quickly jumps to the snare. Then perhaps the best solo in the history of rock. All of the sudden though, there’s a slowdown to a melodic tune and then a jump back into the heavy that startles you back into existence.

No Remorse is my favorite Metallica song of all time. It breaks the norm just by starting out with a hellish demon filled solo of astounding. What really sends me over the edge though is the complete un-selfishness of James. He realizes that in this song that the guitar is the main draw. His voice becomes secondary to the band. How many lead singers would draw back the volume of their microphone to accentuate the band behind them? I love this song because it's one of the few that I’ve ever heard where the instruments are placed above the lyrics.

I should divulge that the opening to Seek & Destroy may be the greatest opening in the history of music. Magic occurred that made it possible for everyone in the band to become linked up and play the perfect song. And as they’re melding, James comes in and just causally places an “Alright.” Like the band had challenged him to match their music with some awe-inspiring lyrics. Then, there’s this lead up and the lyric, “Searching…seek and destroy.” Right after that occurs you get a solo that can only be described in one way. Imagine a farmer milking a pig and you can understand the brilliance that is radiating out of the guitar.

My mom was screaming for me to come get some cake. In those twenty-two minutes and thirty-one seconds, I fell for a band. I sat there in the freezing spring with a gaping mouth. Until this moment I had only been introduced to soft stylings of Michael Bolton and Sting. The idea that there was music that was fast and angry scared me and excited me all at once. My love of Metallica has only grown, and as in most relationships there has been disappointment. But, I can always take solace in leaning back and remembering the day that I fell in love with Metallica.

No comments: