Saturday, February 17, 2007

Treasured Memories [final]

Before the introduction of the consumer camcorder 1983, people relied on still cameras to capture instances in time that would provide their lasting memories. When Sony and JVC introduced the first video cameras, they were expensive and bulky. In just a few short years, the price dropped significantly and the camcorder began showing up in households across the nation. I will never forget the first time I saw my father peering behind the red record lamp of his Sony VHS camcorder.

The night was frigid as the cold and dry December air finally made an appearance in the unusually mild winter of 1989. It was Christmas Eve, and I struggled to sleep a wink. I tossed and turned with my mind in a frenzy as I anxiously pondered all of the wonderful gifts that awaited my attention the next morning.

Shortly after 7 o’clock, the first light made its way through the crescent-shaped window overlooking my bed. I rubbed the sleepy out of my eyes and slid into my Batman slippers just before hurdling the baby gate at the top of the stairs. As I passed the front door, I couldn't help but notice the glow of white that had blanketed the ground that morning. I yelled and hollered to my parents, who were already on their third cup of coffee, to come and see the most wondrous site. I was so caught up in the moment that I nearly forgot it was Christmas morning, and the fact that there were elegantly wrapped presents nestled firmly against the Fraser fir in the living room. Situated in one of those oversized gift boxes lay an item that would change the way my family captured treasured memories forever.

In the months preceding the winter holidays, advertisements for an innovative product, referred to as the "camcorder," flooded radio and television broadcasts urging consumers to take interest in this new technology. My father, like many workingmen, received a seasonal bonus and decided to invest in this "must have" device. Little did my family know, the camcorder would capture a lifetime of memories that would be passed down from generation to generation.

My brother was born just 16 days after the historical snow during the Christmas of 1989, and my father was there to film every moment of it. From Zachary's first steps to my first little league practices, my father recorded video during every one of these moments.

Before this revolutionary technology was released, people were forced to rely on still images to capture those once-in-a-lifetime moments. Video cameras provided people with the opportunity to relive those moments with sound and moving images.

During this past Christmas break, my family decided to pull out the old VCR and watch some of our tapes from the late 80’s and early 90’s. It was amazing to see how I look like my father did when he was in his 20’s. I also can't believe how capable and energetic my mother was even though my brother was due any day.

No comments: