Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Insurance Companies Need a Reformation

It was Tuesday at 6 p.m. and I'm sitting behind a car waiting on the stoplight to change. BAM! What in the wo- BAM! Oh my gosh someone just hit me. It was a four-car pileup and my Volkswagen beetle was between two large cars that felt like tractor-trailers. I had been hit and pushed into the car in front of me. After this point I realized what a pain it is to deal with car insurance companies and how no matter what you get screwed in the end.

At first, they prepared me for the news my car could be totaled. They told me that I should go ahead and start making arrangements to begin looking at new cars. I was not surprised after looking at the damage compared to my cars value. After the estimate was totaled they informed me it would not me a total loss and could be repaired for $4100. My Mom and I being hesitant to trust the body shop we took it to a body shop the Volkswagen dealership recommended. Soon after they notified me the damages had gone up to $5990.

We had figured this didn’t make a lot of sense considering this is 75% of the trade in value of my car. Personally, I don’t trust anything that comes out of the mouths of the people that work there. They are putting refurbished parts on my car in the first place, and legally they have the right to do that. I think this is absolutely ridiculous that my car did not starts off with new parts and ends up with refurbished parts because someone ran into me.

After going over everything with the insurance company we found out they go by the retail value, which is more than what I bought my car for in the first place. Now we are stuck with the car being $500 away from being totaled or having the value of my car go down almost 50% because it has been wrecked over 70%. Nothing about this situation seems fair. What is the point of insurance if in the end it’s still them getting the better end of the deal?

As Americans we pay a lot of money to protect others and ourselves when accidents occur. No matter whose fault it is the Insurance Company gets the final say and everything happens the way they want it. I’ve seen someone be $200 away from having their car totaled and they still repaired it. Nothing about the situation makes sense to me when I have to suffer because someone else ran into me for not paying attention to the road.

Insurance companies need to get off their high horse and stop scamming people out of money. They need to start doing what they say they are going to do and protect the people they are insuring. All insurance companies need to have a huge reformation of what they do.

No comments: