Saturday, September 15, 2007

My Best Friend

My first year of college was a big change for me; I’d never been away from home. Although it was exciting, I had to adapt to unfamiliar surroundings and take on more responsibility. But I didn’t realize how these things could become too overwhelming for me. It was the worst week of my life. I was struggling in a my classes; I never had difficulty with school before. For some reason I was homesick and an absolute wreck. I found myself daydreaming about old friends and how easy life was in high school. I’d picture tasty home cooked meals; no comparison to the questionable casseroles at Wagoner. My boyfriend and I also were having huge problems, which just added to the mix of distress.

I dragged myself to the school mailbox to look for any real mail. While looking through the stacks of credit card applications I came across one from my mom. Anxiously, I opened it and it was a funny card about keeping my head up. Inside she wrote a long note about how hectic life can be and she was always there. The card also included a twenty dollar bill, telling me to treat myself to a real dinner. It made my day—no, my whole month. I had barely even talked to her that week due to the stress and agony of schoolwork. Somehow she just knew I was having a rough time. From that moment on, I went about my week with optimism and faith.

My mom does these reassuring things all the time. It is a daily routine for her to brighten my days. Daily I receive a phone call from her to see how my day was. She always remembers when I have an exam, project, or even meetings, and I always hear the supportive words “You’ll do great! Don’t stress yourself out.” If I do have a major problem—and I have them frequently—she reacts like Superman to a Lois Lane kidnapping. When I overdrafted on my checking account, I frantically called her not knowing what to do. Rather than being angry and frustrated at me, she calmly straightened everything out. I dodged a huge panic attack (and a fine). My brother gives her a lot of practice with handling random chaos, but she always helps in the most caring and patient way possible.

Not only does she take care of things well at home, she is an incredible worker. Most people assume legal secretaries don’t have a demanding job; well she does. The first time I visited her office, I met her boss who is a much respected attorney in Cary.

“We are so glad to finally have your mom with us!”

I had no idea her former boss had begged her to stay, despite his personality of road kill. She refused an increase in pay and did what she felt was right. Obviously, her hard work was well known, and in demand. I’ve always been proud of her determination and proficiency, but it was refreshing to know others noticed as well.

With such a busy schedule between home and work, it amazes me how she keeps a social life. Her friendships mean enough to her to find the time. Every few weeks you can find her and five other lively women at Olive Garden, spending most of the meal laughing rather than eating. Every Sunday, you can find her in Dunn visiting my grandma. She makes a point to do this, regardless of how long her list of errands is. Whenever I go home, we do at least one thing together. Shopping is a talent of hers, and she teaches me how to spot sales from miles away. Before I leave, she asks about thirty times if I want anything out of the pantry—which I usually do. I curiously watch as she puts together delicious plates of leftovers from the nights before.

"Mom, are you already fixing lunch for tomorrow?"

"No, these are for you. I won't let you eat Lean Cuisines all week!"

My mom is remarkable, all around. I measure myself to her in all aspects of my life. It is not just one area she goes above and beyond for; she is the greatest wife, mother, daughter, worker, and friend anyone could hope for. Caring is something she does naturally, without hesitation. She is my best friend, and I just hope if I have a daughter she looks at me the way I see her.

No comments: