Saturday, September 15, 2007

A True Friend Stabs You in the Front

I’m not one to judge people at first glance; I tend to give everyone a fair chance and allow them to prove themselves. However, I do have gut feelings that I so often ignore.

Nikki and I met at a party three and a half years ago, shortly after I had ended a long-term relationship. I needed a pal and we instantly clicked; as it turned out, we had a lot in common. Our mothers were in the same profession, we were in our relationships for the same amount of time and bore the same scars, hung out with the same crowd, liked the same music, even had the same taste in guys.

We made plans for that coming weekend to hear our favorite local band at a bar. I had not been out of my cage long and I had a lot of partying to get out of my system. A fifth of vodka, a half-gallon of orange juice, getting sick, passing out, and her leaving me would take care of this. She still swears to this day that she looked for me. Apparently she forgot to check in the restroom. This should have been the final straw but I just did not see it.

Then I met Nick. He liked all the things that I liked and was generally nice, which was something that I was not used to. He was the rebound. We hung out for a very brief moment and decided that I was not over the first guy, so we parted ways. Nikki obviously felt the need to pick up where I left off and soon began dating Nick. I was hurt, but hid it well. Come to find out she dated Nick to get back at his best friend whom she had been secretly sleeping with for the past two years that called it quits. All at my expense, like I would understand that she had to do this to make the other person mad. Ultimately, I forgave her. After all, Nick and I just dated for only a week or two. In addition, she said that we shouldn’t let a guy come in between our friendship. She should have said GUYS because she tried to pull this stunt on more than one occasion.

That’s when I had had it the first time. I received a phone call from a mutual friend of ours. She started with the small talk, like they all do, and gently dropped the bomb. “She said what?” That was it. I called Nikki and told her that I needed my jacket and space heater from her house and I would pick it up on my way home. She wanted to know what was wrong, I politely told her to grow a friggin’ brain, and figure out what was wrong. I told her that I knew what she had been doing behind my back and I didn’t appreciate it. She then said that I wasn’t getting my belongings until I told her who told me. Frankly that was none of here business. It didn’t matter who told me, it mattered what she said. My friend Candace and I decided to nip this in the bud. We trekked to her house that rainy Friday. The agreement was for her to leave my belongings on the steps so it’d be a clean break. Drive up, get my things, drive off…wrong. We arrive only to find that my things are not on the steps. So, we walk in and she starts at me.

Nikki: Who told you what I said?

Me: I didn’t come to talk I came to get my stuff…where is it?

Nikki: You’re not getting a damn thing until you tell me who told you!

Me: I just want my stuff.

Meanwhile, Candace walked to Nikki’s bedroom and retrieved my space heater and jacket. When she came back to where we were, we start to leave. We get to the door only to discover that my electric space heater is dripping with URINE. Hell breaks loose and it came to blows. Months later, she apologizes and says that one of the people there did it. They were drunk and thought it would be funny if when I plugged in my heater it made my room smell like pee. Hilarious.

It doesn’t stop there either. During this past year’s turkey hunting season, she had the nerve to ask me if my boyfriend would take her hunting with him. I told her that he already had a hunting partner.

To this very day I am still dealing with her spreading rumors, engaging in gossip about me, and lying about it all. I should have listened to Candace, my mom, my sister, Bill, and myself about that girl. Nevertheless, I saw it coming…every single bit of it. After all, a true friend stabs you in the front.


No comments: