Saturday, September 15, 2007

Right Time Right Place

My hero hasn’t changed since the last hero/villain assignment we had. It’s my friend Becky. I met Becky this past summer just after my year long stay in England. She manages to keep high spirits even thought her husband is in Iraq. I, too, am in a long-distance relationship. She is someone that I look to for inspiration on how to deal with loving someone so far away. My boyfriend in England isn’t in a way putting his life on the line and I know exactly where he is and I can visit him when I can. But she cannot do these things. She handles it so well it makes me feel like I can handle anything. I met her right when I had returned from England and I was having such a hard time dealing with being without my boyfriend, but with her I laugh, have 3 hour phone conversations, and go out together.


Recently her husband got to visit her for two weeks out the year and as she watched other couples around her in Jacksonville, where they live, fall apart, they stayed together with no problems. Every once in a while Becky will tell of yet another married couple that lives around her area that has split. I can't imagine what that must be like to have relationships around you fall apart so much at a time when she has to keep so strong. Her "Keep on Truckin" attitude is an amazing attribute that is hard to find these days. She won't be able to see her husband for another five months, possibly seven now. But I know that when I visit my boyfriend in England she won't be jealous or mad about it, she'll be happy for me.

Just tonight we are going to go out with some of our friends and dance the night away downtown. I know we’ll end up talking about my boyfriend and her husband but instead of conversations with tears and complaining, it will be conversations of laughter and reminiscing. With friends like Becky, it’s hard to imagine the life I would have led if I had returned to America with no one to talk to about life, love, and what makes us laugh.

No comments: