Sunday, September 30, 2007

Dollar Tacos

Everyone has a traditional hangout place. Back home, my friends and I had a local restaurant; it didn’t matter if you were actually eating or not. Every Friday we were there and stayed for hours. When I first moved to Wilmington, I wasn’t sure if I would ever find something like that again. One random night I was riding down Market Street and noticed a sign in front of a small restaurant called Carolina Cantina that read “Dollar Tacos Every Tues & Thurs." That Thursday night I was figuring out somewhere to eat dinner, and then I remembered the sign. So, I called three of my friends and we decided to try this place out.

The parking lot was full, so I expected a long wait. From the outside, it appeared to be a typical Mexican restaurant. To our surprise we only had to stand ten minutes before being seated. Inside, the building was decorated with colorful lights and amusing beer signs. There is a small bar right when you walk in, and combination of booths and tables throughout the restaurant. The lights were turned down low, and the sounds of exciting, festive music filled the air. I felt like I was having fun just sitting there. Although it is a Tex-Mex restaurant, the atmosphere would be enjoyable for anyone. I looked around and noticed a variety of customers: college students, adults, and a few families. It had a very relaxed and laid back feel. Our waitress quickly arrived and gave us menus. She was very nice, funny, and polite. All the waitresses casually tended to the tables, clothed in jeans, tennis shoes and tank tops. It was refreshing to see there was no strict dress code. We munched down on the chips and salsa, then ordered a few beers. Luckily, Corona and Dos Equis are on special during the dollar taco nights.

Conversation and laughter went on for twenty minutes before we even ordered, but the waitress didn’t seem to mind. She talked with us and told us more about the place. The building set up looked familiar, and come to find out it used to be a Pizza Hut. We finally ordered food; I got two chicken tacos and my friends got beef. They were at our table in a matter of minutes. I was a little skeptical about the tacos which were small and didn’t look delicious. The first bite proved me wrong. After engulfing both, I was stuffed. I am still not sure how such small tacos filled me up, but they did. We continued to hang out and talk over another beer. Before I knew it, two hours had passed since we had arrived. When she handed me the bill, my mouth dropped. I couldn’t believe how cheap it was, even with the drinks. It was such a relief not to spend over ten dollars on dinner.

Two years have passed, and every Tuesday night is set aside for dollar tacos. I look forward to it every week, and it never gets old. I always go with at least three friends, and we always stay at least one hour (even though it only takes up twenty minutes to order and eat). We know two of the waitresses personally, and they always take good care of us. I still order the same thing every time, and it is always great. Even if I have had the worst day possible, going there to eat and hang out lifts my whole mood. The atmosphere hasn’t changed, and neither has our traditional hang out place. I am so thankful that my friends and I have our own regular spot here that always guarantees a good time. Dollar taco night isn’t just a cheap meal, it’s a great time.

No comments: