Saturday, October 6, 2007

It's Time for a Change

Every high school has different standards for how their students use their time during school hours. At my own high school, too much time at once was spent in the classroom. We had seven-hour days with only four classes. We never had homeroom time in the morning as other high schools did. We had no break, no study hall, and only a twenty-minute lunch.

Spending that much time sitting a chair, in the years of one’s life when being active is so important, is bad for you. It’s no wonder why so many people in America are obese. High schools such as mine don’t let their students move around and get blood flowing to their brains. Students need small breaks to be able to successfully perform in school. A twenty-minute lunch was not enough time to stand in the long lunch line and try to find a seat and eat a meal. I never was able to completely finish a meal or take my time eating. I even remember times when the meal line was so long and the cafeteria was so full that I never even had time to find a seat and eat.

The time between classes was three minutes. This left no time to go to one’s locker if it was not close to their classroom. There were some days when I had to carry all my books with me all day because I didn’t ever have time to go to my locker. Instead of having just three minutes between classes, there should be around 10 or 12 minutes of time to give students a little break between subjects and have time they don’t move around.

Having a study hall session would also be a good idea. I remember my mother being surprised I didn’t have study hall in my high school career as she always had one per semester. It’s a time to get work done, catch up on academic matters, and prepare for classes. Young adults in high school usually have many after school activities. I remember there being little time to do all my homework, especially since I was in more advanced classes. Course loads would be more manageable if there was time spent in study hall.

The amount of time in each class is tremendous. High schools should have at least five classes per day because the attention span of a high school student is not long enough to last over an hour and a half per class with no breaks. If subjects were more broken up, students would be able to concentrate better and take in more knowledge. I remember that after the first hour of one subject, I and other students would start to daydream or not be able to pay attention as well. If my school was set on their ways of keeping just four classes per day, than just a simple break in the middle of a classes for a few minutes would help tremendously. One day I believe my high school will change its ways. It’s hard to believe that my mother’s high school was more advance then my own. When obesity and other physical and mental problems start to occur because this vigorous schedule, the time management will change.

No comments: