Saturday, November 24, 2007

Education, At Any Age, Empowers


Parents often mention that their children leave for college at 18 and come back home four, sometimes five years later, changed individuals. The assumption is that they grew up during that time, maturing with the passing of the years. And yes, that is true, in part, but there is one other factor that probably causes most of the change: education. Attending college at any age changes a person, hopefully in a positive manner, giving them greater self-esteem; that goal alone should be the highest objective of the academic institution.

I started college just as I entered middle age. The past twenty plus years had been spent raising children, supporting my husband as he completed college and working in the secular world. It could be correctly assumed that I have done a lot of changing since high school. Most might think that my basic personality is firmly set and the person I was when I started college four years ago would be pretty much the person I am now. I had that same assumption, at least when I started school. Knowing what I know now, that idea was way off base.

I have often referred to myself as a liberal republican or a conservative democrat. I have always tried to be objective in my views and accept everyone for who they are as well as looking for the best side in any situation. I maintained a very middle-of-the-road stance in all I did. I felt this made me a good person. Four years into my education, I still try to be that way, but the opinions I form are now influenced by a deeper understanding and background. More noticeable than that is the fact that I am much more secure in my own beliefs and values. Before I started college, I was quick to waiver when someone disagreed with me; backing down or shutting up entirely in order to avoid a discussion I didn't feel competent to defend. For years I felt I couldn't participate in the intelligent discussions of my peers. It seemed they just knew so much more than I did, and they felt so comfortable in their own ideas and opinions. With that innate comfort comes a sense of self-esteem. That is what education has given me, self-esteem through knowledge.

As I approach my graduation, I take with me four years of learning but, more importantly, I take a confidence within myself that I am just as intelligent, valued and important as the person standing next to me. I know that I have learned to evaluate and process information and then take that knowledge and use it in a productive manner. I understand that learning carries responsibility. Education is what creates enlightened individuals; it gives them a greater understanding of their place in society along with what they can give back. For me, it gave the drive to give back to the institution that has provided me with the tools to find my own self-esteem. Education helped me find my voice, a voice I plan to use to help others discover the same confidence I now possess. I have changed from college, I am empowered and perhaps, in the end, that is the greatest purpose of education.

No comments: