Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Mother of all Pregnancy Movies

The movie’s title alone was enough to support my impulse buy. I am a big fan of random buys, especially when it comes to movies. I always make my way to Wal-Mart on Tuesday to see the new releases. I walked to the movie area, and my attention was quickly caught by the yellow case adorned with a smirking young man’s face. I had heard people talking about the movie Knocked Up before, so I figured that it could be worth checking out.

I couldn’t watch it that night, because my favorite TV show, House, comes on, but I did watch it on Wednesday night. As the movie started, I quickly realized that was not just about some girl getting pregnant. It is a true outright comedic adventure documenting the ins and outs of dealing with an unplanned pregnancy. I was doubtful of even watching this with my girlfriend because of my fear of commitment and her yearning for it. The movie stars Seth Rogen as the slacker, Ben, who participate in a night of debauchery with extremely successful career girl Alison, played by Katherine Heigl. I of course have seen the beautiful Katherine Heigl from her stint on the television show Grey’s Anatomy, but I was interested to see how Rogen played a high stakes role such as this one.

The two main characters meet at a bar where they are both going to celebrate completely different things. This one intoxicating evening highlighted by one unprotected sex act causes career girl Alison to get pregnant. Two months later Ben has the news broken to him by the extremely distraught Alison. Alison and Ben come to the conclusion that keeping the baby is the best thing. The two of them try to make things work out, more or less because Ben realizes that he is an extremely unattractive loser who has won an awesome chance with a great girl.

As their journey goes through many ups and downs, we witness the heartwarming representation of how love can grow and what we as human beings can do if we only believe. Of course I laughed my head off at the many hysterical moments fueled by Ben and Alison’s interaction with their co-stars and each other. This B-list All Star team shows that you don't have to have fart jokes, sex talk, nudity, extreme drug use and basic acts of debauchery to have a great comedy. So my suggestion is that if you haven’t seen this movie, run out and buy it. But I do give you a precautionary measure to take when you might watch this movie with someone who is opinionated and a little prudish. The movie does use explicit language and has scenes not appropriate for young viewers. So viewer discretion is advised. But if you are still interested in the movie, run out and buy it right now because you will laugh, you’ll cry and you’ll cherish this movie for years to come!

No comments: