Saturday, January 20, 2007

I Am Not That Into The Beach


“How come you don’t like the beach?” I was facing a pair of wide-opened eyes with a “you must be from Mars” kind of expression. “Didn’t you come all the way from China and decide to live in Brunswick County so you can be closer to the beach? I can’t believe anyone doesn’t like beach... Megan, Shelly doesn’t like beach.” I knew I would get a comment like that after six years living in a beach town where almost everyone believes the only reason people come to the beach is because they love it. I don’t know much about “beach people” elsewhere, but I knew “beach people” in Brunswick County love their beaches and cannot believe anyone here who just might not care much about the beach.

My hometown, Suzhou, is hundreds miles away from any beaches, so one of my childhood dreams was to see the ocean once before I die. I got to fulfill that dream at the age of 23, way before I die I hope. I enjoyed the trip and liked the ocean, but I didn’t fall in love with it like many other people do. For one thing, I didn’t like the beach. Just think the crowd on Sunset Beach… or Wrightsville Beach, and then double that–that was what I saw on the beaches at Putuoshan Island. Too many people--that was my first impression. My friends who went with me didn’t like it very much, either. Growing up around Taihu Lake, we enjoyed the tranquil of the lake surroundings. The ocean, or the environment of the beach, is a bit noisy to us.

When my husband and I talked about moving to United States, however, I did not oppose the idea of moving to Sunset Beach -- the town he grew up and still has a business. I thought that as people often say, “Never say never,” I might be able to discover the real quality of the beach life if I lived there for a while.

After six years living in the area where beach and golf are part of life, I am still not in love with the beach, just as I am not crazy about golf. I love the weather here (exclude the hurricanes), the not-so-crowded traffic, and the people I met. Most people are kind, polite, and interestingly black-and-white (I have had people ask me that since I am not a Christian, where I would go after I die). However, I am still not in love with the beach although I go there once a while. Most people in South Brunswick Island have this dream about owning a house, a cottage, a trailer, a motor home, or whatever is allow, on the beach. I can’t image having a house right on the beach (my husband likes my idea also because beach houses are expensive). The salty air usually ruins furniture, light fixtures, and even the house itself very quickly, and sand is basically everywhere. I think it is just not a lifestyle I am into.On the other side, I understand that there are people who love the coastal life just as I want to give mountain life a try. There is nothing wrong with that. The thing I don’t understand is when people who can’t believe I, someone has lived in Brunswick County for six years, do not like the beach.

Since I heard this comment so many times, it becomes like an exercise to me – whenever I met a beach “fanatic,” I will tell them I don’t like the beach. Many of them will give me those familiar comments accompanied by that “I cannot believe...” look.

I know most people come to this area because they love the ocean, the beach, or something related to it. On the other hand, I feel sure there are people who came here because of the climate, job opportunity, family reasons, or something other than the beach or ocean. To many people I knew, that idea is just impossible and they will give you that “I cannot believe anyone doesn’t like beach” look.

I am glad the ones who love the beach are living where their passions are. And please let me be one less person on the beach, so the beach would be less crowded for the real lovers to enjoy.

No comments: