Saturday, January 20, 2007

verbal tipping


Everyone should be required to work as a server in a restaurant. It is one of the easiest jobs, most of the time, and sometimes I even think how crazy it is that someone gives me money for how little work I do. But here is the thing, people like to go out to eat and be waited on, and that service requires tipping. A standard has been set.


Unfortunately, a great number of people either don’t know this standard or choose to ignore it. Fifteen percent just doesn’t cut it anymore. And no, telling me how great of a job I did and that everything was wonderful does not mean you can skimp on the tip. Taking the time to fill out a comment card about how exceptional my service was also doesn’t qualify you for leaving less of a tip. Progress Energy and my landlord will not except those comment cards as forms of payment. If they did, I would be way ahead on those bills.

The federal government finally decided to give us servers a raise from $2.13 to $3.13 an hour. (This only took about 40 years) But that hourly wage generally goes completely to taxes, so I depend strictly on the tips my customers leave. You can probably see my frustration with those who think verbal tipping suffices for monetary tips. It doesn’t.

Just because I’m waiting on you does not mean that I am a complete idiot either. I understand what you mean when you ask for a half and half tea. I don’t need you very descriptive directions on how to do that for you. I do this almost every day and I really do know how it works. When I came to your table and you ordered a sweet tea did I not bring that to you? Yes. Yes I did. Therefore when I come to refill your drink I already know what you are drinking and you do not need to stop me from doing my job to ask me if I am bringing you the right thing. Don’t treat me like an idiot and then leave me a twelve percent tip thinking you are doing me some huge favor. I’d rather not get anything.


What are these customers thinking when they sit down at my table? I really wish I knew sometimes. I spend most of my time in the dining room taking orders and bringing drinks and making sure everyone has what they need at all times, so how in the world did I manage to get in the kitchen and prepare their salads, cook their steaks and salmon, all while making sure the needy chumps were happy while they waited? I didn’t have the time. I didn’t cook their food. I am a server not a cook, so don’t blame me when your food isn’t cooked the way you like it. The only thing I can do is take it back to the kitchen, ask them to fix it, bring it back to you and hope your picky ass likes it, and then get attitude from you for still not being satisfied. It still isn’t my fault. As long as I did what I could to fix the problem my tip should not be affected, but usually it is. And those kitchen guys who cooked the food wrong in the first place still get the same pay. It’s just not fair.

I honestly don't think this will ever change. All I can do is hope it and will. I just need to keep reminding myself that I've only got 91 days until I graduate and I'm done with the restaurant business.

No comments: