Saturday, February 10, 2007

Perfect Fit

One sunny afternoon I walked over to a friend's house in the neighborhood. Little did I know that I would be love-struck half-way to my destination. The very moment I saw Adam in his front yard dressed in baseball attire and throwing a ball straight up into the air and catching it in his mitt, I remember saying to myself, "Oh my, who is this? Yes. There is a new boy in the neighborhood." I probably didn't breath the whole time I crossed his path but I can tell you, I made it to Ashley's in record time. I was only 14 years old but as far as I was concerned, it was love at first sight and I couldn't wait to tell my best friend all about it.

My girlfriends and I always hoped new tenants of houses that sold in our neighborhood would have cute boys or kids our age. What young girls don't wish for that? After arriving to Ashley's house, it was hard to contain my excitement. I was practically claiming this boy as mine after only seeing him, not even knowing his name. One coincidence after the other, this boy showed up everywhere I was. It started the very day I saw him, Wednesday, that night was youth night at church. He walked in. My heart fluttered nonstop as the flirting began. Adam...oh, I just knew it was meant to me. He lived in my neighborhood, went to my school and church, joined the neighborhood swim team, and made friendships with people I was already close to.

We began dating that summer. Our childlike innocence revealed to us that we could fall for someone at the young age of 14 and 15. Our late-night phone calls till 3 a.m. continued into our school year then changed to passing notes in the hallway, writing "AT Loves AL always and forever" on every piece of paper in my notebook, the typical high school ways of claiming your love. Adam and I dated for a year and seven months, the longest either of us had been with someone. Our love for each other was real and new to the both of us, quit scary because we weren't sure that it was okay to feel that way for someone at a young age.

We did break up in the seventh month, but I knew it wasn't the end of us. I even told him, "You won't find anyone better than me." I prayed day and night that we could get back together, but nothing happened. One night I remember an overwhelming feeling come over me saying, "Amanda, be patient. I know what's best for you and Adam right now. Trust me. You will be with him once again." From that moment on, I gained confidence and acquired a belief that Adam was my soul mate. He was the one I would be with.

Adam and I remained the best of friends after splitting in high school. We were very protective of each other. When one or the other dated someone else it was obvious we were jealous. No one was good enough for him in my eyes. I hated getting phone calls from him telling me his girlfriend cheated on him, said something mean, or broke up with him. Although I hated him being with other girls, I still wanted him to be happy. Conversely, I was also in other serious relationships, but I always compared those guys to Adam. Though I may have loved them, they just were not Adam, they were not the love of my life.

Four years later, forces were bringing the two of us back together. After ending his third relationship of a year and seven months (because the girl was unfaithful), I was still the one he called to talk to. He didn't want to rush into another relationship, but there was an evening that he confessed his love for me. A love, he said, never stopped. I discovered that night that he also compared every girl he dated after me, to me. But they too didn't compare to the one person he held on a pedestal.

I believe that people are placed in our lives for a reason. There was a reason that Adam and I met when we did. We fell in love at a young age, but I feel there is no better timing. It is a time that we're oblivious to the negative aspects of life so we're completely open and vulnerable. It is a time that a lot of people experience heartbreak because individuals have not yet built up barriers to protect their hearts from getting hurt. If Adam and I had not split in high school, we would not have discovered from other failed relationships what we want in a life partner. Not only that, Adam has a job today because of an ex-girlfriend's father. Yes, everything happens for a reason.

It has now been two and a half years that Adam and I have been together. Apparently my family knew this would happen. They informed me that they all put money on the fact that they believed Adam and I would get back together. We know this is it; however, we're in no rush to walk down the aisle. It's important for the both of us to get our own lives on track first, with careers, places to live, etc. before we commit to each other. I believe in love, soul mates, and that God has plans for people, we just have to be patient for them the happen when the time is right, on His time. All I can do today is be thankful to have such an amazing love in my life. Adam treats me like I'm an angel every single day. Life couldn't be much sweeter. I'm with the person whom I gave my heart to eight years ago and never fully got it back in our time apart. Love is a tie that holds all things together.

No comments: