Thursday, February 8, 2007

My Belief

There are few concepts still noble enough to believe in these days. Most notably would be the things you were raised to believe in and other opinions you may have formed on your own as life has progressed. So when given this assignment I had to really take a look at myself and ask what is there that I feel passion enough to write about.

In the past I would have immediately started writing about religion and why I’m such a devout follower. But as my life has shown me in days of old, that is a recipe for unwanted problems. So I kept looking, just hoping for any idea at all. It was during our Tuesday class that I heard something in our discussion that I felt I had to voice my opinion on.

In that discussion we glanced over the notions of virgins, birth control, and premarital sex. I sat, listened, and waited to respond in time during the class. It was while waiting to talk that I realized what I really believed in enough to voice an opinion on, not settling.

I thought about how in life we often negate being patient long enough for the right person to come into our lives. I thought about how we will take sides in an argument, without first knowing both sides of the fight. I thought about how we might risk a mouth full of burns and sores because we won’t allow a piece of food to cool before we bite into it. And I also thought about how we’ll play the lottery for quick money instead of working and saving our finances, along with some clever investing, to get wealthy.

I now know that what I truly hold close to my heart, and to my beliefs, is not settling for the now, but rather be patient and let life develop as you go. The most recent example I can cite is the parking upgrade I just received this week. While I was never thrilled about being bused into school, I accepted it for what it was and kept moving forward. What the being bused in represented was a challenge of how much patience you have to use while waiting on the system to work accordingly. So rather than risk a boot for parking out of my zone, I allowed my situation to work itself out, and now I can park on campus.

The greatest personification of not settling I use to inspire myself to wait is marriage. For a little over six years I’ve had to watch my closest family members elope. I and the rest of the family have had to try and deal with the fact that these knuckle-heads go off and get married without giving anyone a chance to even meet the woman they married before making the decision. I must confess that none of these women are worthy of being married to anyone, let alone my kin. And what my family is now realizing is that if these fools had demonstrated a second of patience, then we’d all be closer and more accepting.

For the most part, being patient and not settling can lead to wonderous achievements and happier days. My patience and not settling is going to allow me the opportunity to be the first male out of my family to graduate from a four year university. My not settling will allow me to be the first male in my family to actually be paid in a field that I enjoy, and want to work in. And my not settling will allow me time to live, and not be locked down by a family too soon. Don’t get me wrong, I want to be a family man one day, but I’m not going rush that anytime soon. I’ll be patient and not settle for the first short skirt that comes my way, rather I’ll let life bring me and the “One” together when the time is right.

That has to be the best reason for being patient. Patience will allow you to make mistakes that you can learn from and never repeat. But settling and impatience can allow for a great many hardships that you don’t have to bare. I love knowing that I have some control over my life and its direction, simply because I’m willing to wait and not settle for the only option in front of me. That is why I’m twenty-five, cute, and have no children. That is also why I’m anxious for tomorrow and willing to wait for it.

No comments: