Saturday, February 10, 2007

This I Believe (FINAL)

Life’s precious moments come and go like the azalea blooms in the spring and seasons of the year. We are measured by our successes and scorned because of our shortcomings, but it is our experiences that define us as individuals. Everything I have learned in life up to this point has laid the foundation to what I will become because I believe in taking advantage of every opportunity and learning something from each experience.

Ever since I was a child, my parents encouraged me to get involved in as many activities as I wanted or as time would allow. Whether it was basketball, street hockey, Indian Guides or youth group; my time was constantly occupied. 

I discovered my interest in sports at a young age and developed my abilities during many seasons of YMCA recreation leagues. I was always encouraged to play every sport that I liked but after a few seasons of each, I quickly concentrated on my favorites. It was these experiences and the support of my parents that shaped me into the athlete, leader and articulate communicator that I am today.


Now that I am a junior in college, I understand the importance of getting involved more than ever. Not only do activities boost your portfolio and repertoire of skills, but they also teach you many life lessons that you would never get sitting in a classroom. The student newspaper has provided me with the opportunity of gaining real world experience in a field of media that I will likely pursue as a career. It is very time demanding but I learn something new every day and for that I am thankful.

As senior year is fast approaching, I find myself pondering how quickly the time has passed. It seems like just yesterday that I was walking across the stage during my high school graduation. Then, I thought college was a huge deal and that it was a decision that would decide whether I would become successful and happy or miserable and broke. I now realize that it has all been one giant learning experience that has prepared me for the rest of my life.

In the past few weeks, it has come to my attention that many soon-to-be graduating students get scared and anxious during this time of their life. They are faced with many decisions that will ultimately decide their lifestyle and career path. Juniors and seniors in college work hard to earn their degrees with hopes of landing a job that will make them happy and satisfy their economic needs. They may not find their ideal job in the first couple of tries; however, it is guaranteed that they will learn what they don’t want in a future career. Sacrifices may need to be made along the way, but taking advantage of every opportunity and walking through every open door will only lead to a valuable learning experience.

I am excited about the opportunities and experiences to come. Sometimes, though, I need to slow down and savor life’s precious moments before they pass me by. I will continue to live with no regrets as long as I learn something from each experience.

No comments: