Saturday, February 10, 2007

Seeing and believing

I believe without evidence of truth, and that is the most precious gift I own.

There are few things that I believe in that supported by evidence. I believe in global warming, mostly because the scientists have displayed adequate data that it is occurring. I believe that Democrats and Republicans aren’t looking out for anyone but themselves. I believe that truth is the most telling thing. So, what’s there left to believe in? I guess the most believable thing that I can actually believe in, is that belief can actually exist.

Who knows if there are aliens circling the earth and bending corn stalks to make weird designs. Is there no possibility of such? More then likely not, but the fact that I am capable of believing such things with no tangible evidence, besides my blind belief, is something that I will value forever.

I believe that there is something greater then myself out there. Call it God or what have you, but whatever it is it has yet to present itself to me. I can’t place a finger on my life and show you that this was the moment where I found this higher being; because I don’t have a roadmap of important dates. But there’s a belief that something is there, and it has yet to be proven.

What is love? There is no true basis that such a thing can exist. Yet, it does, because we believe it to existence. Is there any logic in the idea that someone who you have no connection to prior can completely change your world with a simple glance or half-hearted smile? There isn’t, but because we believe in its existence.

Can a single person actually save the world? More then likely not. The world is far too big to be saved by a single person, but because we believe it to be possible, it is. One man, or woman, could do something so drastic that it causes a chain reaction of ideas and makes the world a better place. It’s not possible in the realm of truth; it is in the world of believing.

Because I am able to believe at all is the greatest gift bestowed upon me. The fact that I am able to think in abstract thought is a most treasured gift. It allows us to have hope in times that are dreary and bleak. The very word belief helps you get up in the morning because there’s a chance that today will be better then the last.

Belief allows us to function as human beings. Belief is an all encompassing word that is simply an umbrella for ideas that we use on a regular basis. Trust, God, love, know, think, imagination, and see. Without belief these words fall to nothingness. These are all emotions, and without belief in something, emotion is a truth less lonely place.

Somewhere between belief and truth lays knowledge. What makes belief so grand is the idea behind it. The idea that though there may be no logic in it, or that it’s the most far-fetched idea that has ever been thought up; there is a chance that it can still exist. Belief is the imagination at work. Belief is life at work. Choosing between belief and truth is like choosing between happy and sad. We must find our medium in this life, and I can guarantee that in that medium is some belief that something can happen that has no logical base.

No comments: