Thursday, April 19, 2007

Kids in college?

In one of my classes this past week, I was surprised to see a little blonde-haired girl who looked to be about three years old, sitting on the lap of one my female classmates. Walking to my seat, I wondered why the she brought this little girl with her. Not long ago in a different class, a student brought her young cousins to see what college is really like, but I figured this little girl was too young for something like that. Of course, I quickly realized that this was my peer's daughter, and apparently she had no other option than to bring her to class.

I think it was admirable that this student was so intent on coming to class that she brought her daughter with her. But it soon became obvious that it was not going to be so simple for her; although this cute little girl was well behaved, she couldn't help but make some noises and wander over to where another student had placed his skateboard up against the wall. After all, kids are kids. The professor seemed a bit distracted, but I wouldn't say she was peeved. I was also slightly distracted by this child, but it wasn't like she was totally debilitating my concentration. What actually turned out being more distracting was another girl who sits a couple rows across from me, who happens to be one of the biggest talkers in the class, both during the actual class discussion and in off-topic discussion with her neighbors.

This particular peer has actually been distracting to me before; since we both sit in the back, I can't help but notice how she likes to disparage other people's comments and roll her eyes at things she disagrees with. I admit that I disagree with a lot of things said in many of my classes, but I feel that the proper thing to do in such a case is to raise your hand and address the person that you happen to disagree with, which is what "discussion" is all about. However, in this situation I thought she was being particularly unfair when she whispered (quite loudly) to her friend sitting next to her how annoyed she was by the little girl several rows away from her.

At this point, I'm sitting on a fence. I don't think children are appropriate for the classroom setting, but I also know what it is like to be a single mother who earnestly wants to learn, and doesn't want to miss classes because there is nowhere to leave her child. My sister, a single mom with a four-year-old daughter, attended this school a couple years ago, and I can honestly say that without my help she would have been doing the same thing as the young mother in my class. But maybe my peer didn't have a sister that lived in town and could help her out like mine did.

First, I want to point my finger at the school. I think it's preposterous that we do not provide daycare for any parents who attend our school. Colleges are not made up of only 21-year-olds who are childless children themselves, still depending on mom and dad for rent money. We have a diverse student population, and that includes working parents who could use a little help in the children department. I think if the school can afford a fountain with names carved into it that runs constantly and is totally useless, they can afford a daycare. If our school can afford a million plasma television sets which hardly anyone watches, they can afford a daycare. You know what other schools do? They set up a program in the education department, so that future teachers can get experience watching and tutoring their peer's own children. It's effective for both parties and it's cheap.

I don't know whom to point my finger at next. The girl and her daughter left the class after 20 minutes anyway, after she realized that her daughter could not sit still like a statue for an hour and half. Honestly, she should have known better. But I don't think she should be penalized for being a mother by not being able to attend her classes. As for the girl sitting near me who was so very annoyed, who had once called herself a feminist, she is not helping the situation at all. As a feminist, I think mothers should be supported one hundred percent, which they are not in this country. Women have the most important jobs of all--carrying and taking care of children--and the government hardly pats us on the back. Most women don't get paid time off, and obviously at our school, women do not benefit as mothers. I think this so-called feminist could have been a bit more tolerant, rather than only focusing on herself and how she was distracted and could not say all the important things she wanted to say.

Until UNCW does provide facilities for parents on our campus, I feel that if a student gets permission from the professor to bring a child to class, that other students should be more tolerant. Mothers and fathers should not be penalized for being parents, which is the result if they have to miss class. Also, I want to add that there is nothing more distracting in class than a student who makes a comment to their neighbors about what everyone else is saying in class. It's not lunchtime! I would rather have a screaming kid in class than watch someone constantly rolling their eyes at my fellow peers.

No comments: