Saturday, April 7, 2007

Cheers

I've always believed that people come into our lives for a reason. Whether it's a friendship, relationship with a parent, or love interest, those people do set a standard for what we do or do not expect in future relationships.

I think the relationships that people build in their lives start from the way they're raised. Being taught by my parents to value honesty, love, and good communication has made me settle for nothing less. I realize the importance of not taking another individual for granted, meaning it's important to appreciate the friendships and the love others share with me every day.

It's not common to hear today of a marriage that has lasted 25 years. Last July my parents were proud to say they were celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary. Knowing they've been together that long and being able to see through their actions that they are still very much in love makes me believe it's still possible for anyone to have that today. It seems that today's society settles for relationships that don't benefit either person involved.

People find security in the financial status of a loved one instead of focusing on the love between them. Why is it that so many individuals are moving in together before they get married? Have they not opened their eyes to the others who are doing the same? It does not work out. I think it's because they're not committed by marriage and consequently see that as a way to get out of the relationship rather than working through the issues. This goes back to valuing honesty and good communication. A relationship does not exist if either is lacking.

I've seen more friendships fizzling because of betrayal and dishonesty. You're never supposed to get involved with an ex of your friends, right? That's what I was always told. It's been an unwritten rule for years that seems to have faded over time.

Apart from love relationships, nothing can break a bond between true friendships. My best friend, whom I've known since freshman year of high school, is someone who I don't see very often today. She and I can go for months at a time without speaking, but then meet up, talk, and realize we haven't missed a beat. Nothing has changed. The friendship is still as strong today as it was in high school. That can be credited to the communication we have with one another. It's known that I'm always here for her anytime she needs to talk, laugh, or cry. In return, she is always there for me. Not once have we ever taken the other for granted. We've always been honest and open with one another. That's how all relationships should be.

Because my parents have been my best friends and have taught me the importance of family, love, and friendships and what it takes to maintain them, I have become extremely selfless in life. Giving more to others than they give to me makes me feel better about my days. Knowing that I can make someone's day just by lending an ear or giving a hug is all I need to have a good day myself. It would be wonderful if everyone valued relationships and realized that the people they encounter in life will be affected by them in some way. Next time you walk by someone who looks like they're down in the dumps, give a little smile and say hello. After all, it could be the beginning of a new relationship.

No comments: