Saturday, April 7, 2007

Quality Over Quantity (FINAL)

Humans are defined by their relationships with friends, family, and members of the opposite sex. Some relationships are inherited at the moment of birth while others are born from common interests, jobs or attraction. They are partnerships that take two willing parties to make it work. When it becomes a one-sided effort, the flame that once brought the two people together suddenly goes out and the individuals move on. People come and go in life, but it is relationships that define us and help us grow into better friends, lovers and family members.

Some say you can tell a lot about a person by the people they associate with. Friends are made as the result of a bonding experience, a common interest or merely frequent contact, such as at a job or school. Many of my closest friends I have known since elementary school. Although we haven’t always attended the same school growing up, we have shared common interests such as sports, movies and music. As I become absorbed in my own life’s challenges and struggles, I know that I can always look to my friends for comfort. I have learned that friendships become stronger as two people go through trying times and difficult situations because true friends stick together and rely on each other’s relationship for support. Perhaps it is more valuable to have a few best friends than a bunch of mediocre friends. Quality is always more important than quantity when it comes to relationships.

On the day of birth, a person is brought into the arms of the two most important people in his or her life. In this instant, the child also inherits relationships with grandparents, aunts, uncles and other siblings. My family has been the backbone and support for every decision and endeavor I have embarked on. It is important to have a good relationship with family because love will always stand the test of trying times and a supportive family will be there in the toughest of situations.

As people grow older, they find comfort and look for support in relationships with people of the opposite sex. Many argue that humans, like all organisms, were put on this earth in order to reproduce. However, while searching for a lifetime companion, people develop relationships based on love, trust and attraction. In my short 20 years, I have yet to find a companion to spend the rest of my life with. However, I have learned a lot about my self and the opposite sex in every relationship I have been in. I know that true love is hard to find and takes hard work to keep alive, but a dedicated heart and lifelong relationship will last forever.

Much like dieting and exercising, relationships are important in maintaining a good healthy lifestyle. People who are engaged in supportive relationships filled with love and happiness tend to feel better about themselves and more satisfied in their daily lives. As people grow older, seemingly more important things take priority over friends, family and significant others. However, relationships with these people should be the backbone of support for every decision and endeavor in life. Family members were there from the start of life and they should be there at the end so it is important to value and treasure these important relationships.

No comments: