Saturday, April 7, 2007

best friends



Best friends stick together through everything. They are always supposed to be there for you when your boyfriend breaks up with you, or you have a death in the family, or even if you just need a shoulder to cry on. That's how my best friend and I were from the time we met in seventh grade until just the past few years. The most memorable times of our friendship were throughout middle and high school.

We were inseparable. No matter where you saw one, you saw the other. We would spend the every weekend together either at my house or hers or else camping at the lake with my family. In eighth grade we were even out with the flu the same week. No one believed we were both sick but we both had doctor's notes. We had even planned to be each other's maid of honor when we got married. Those years were some of the best ever and I will never forget them. But, as some relationships do, our friendship began to drift apart.

Usually when high school friends go away to different colleges their relationships do suffer. But we both came to UNCW and lived together in Belk. Our boyfriends even lived together. But her top priority was to join a sorority and that was something that has never hit my to-do list. She joined and gained approximately 60 new friends so there wasn't much time left for her old ones.

We would still occasionally to do things together and we both still referred to each other as "my best friend." It wasn't until she graduated from UNCW and moved back home that we almost completely lost touch. She has been back to Wilmington on several occasions but has only bothered to meet up with me on one of those, and I almost think that was completely accidental. She always seems to call me and say that she wants to hang out, but when I put forth the effort, she never comes through. I haven't talked to her in 2 and 1/2 months since the last time she never showed up. I never even got a call to tell me what happened. But regardless of the way things are now, she was my best friend and we do have some really crazy and fun memories together.

I no longer call her my best friend, she's just known as my best friend from high school. She will not be my maid of honor and probably not even a bridesmaid at my wedding, but she will get an invitation, and maybe one day we will have a closer friendship than we have right now. Either way, we had some great times together and they will never be forgotten.

No comments: